Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the clash of the weddings

The first of the six in our childhood group finally got married last week. Who would have thought that this day would come so soon. It's all so unfamiliar, although I've been involved in countless weddings before. It's different this time. Because it's one of us. And it forces us to realize that we've finally grown up. Allow me to reminisce for a moment here. We've come a long way together. From innocent and naive adolescents, through the passage of time we've become stronger and developed character.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, the torch has been passed on to us. It's time to make a living for ourselves. It's time to be adults, to take on real responsibilities with real stakes on the table. It's pretty overwhelming just thinking about it. Even for the ones who don't hear wedding bells in the near future (ie. me) - graduation. job search. finally meeting the real world. real threats. risky decisions.

Well, I'm sure the newly-weds will go far (pun intended). The Bahamas is a long loong way away, after all. My most sincere wishes to the two of you. Starting a family in a foreign land on your own seems quite daunting. But I'm sure you two will manage some how.

Another wedding coming soon. But this one is just too... complicated. It was an awkward and sad phone call. For me at least. I couldn't bring myself to congratulate you or wish you although I knew that that would have made you happy. But that would have been hypocritical of me. And you would have seen right through it. Would you really have bought that? We saw it coming for YEARS. And yet, it's still awkward. I guess if it makes you happy, good for you. I truly appreciate the effort taken in mailing me a separate invite as requested despite receiving two beforehand. I don't know why I asked you to do that, but it really doesn't make any sense for me to be present. If this makes it any better, I still do cherish the good ol' days despite what I say. And no amount of jealousy and hatred from anyone will be able change that.

Two weddings. Two very different emotions. Life's a rollercoaster. It really is.