Saturday, December 27, 2008

the surprisingly not-so-different xmas

This year was supposed to be different. New church. New friends. New routine. For the first time in 14 years, I didn't spend xmas eve caroling. For the first time in 14 years, I didn't countdown to the crossover at some youth's house and erupt in a charismatic rendition of 'Samathana Prabhu' coupled with some really unjack dance steps. It wasn't such a big deal to be the first to wish everyone at the stroke of midnight anymore. Maybe it's me growing up. Or maybe just a welcomed change.

But it was still very much like previous Christmases in so many ways. I still got up for service as groggy as ever (the dreaded effects of too much Bombay Sapphire, no doubt). I still went for service with the family (minus the brother, as usual). I still had very beautiful people to snap pics with after service. I still experienced a family fiasco that threatened to ruin Christmas. I still (over)ate the usual Indian food (2 lunches & 3 dinners of roughly the same thing).

For some reason. I liked this year better than the rest. I think it was because of the refreshing change in setting. Change is always good.

And so this is how Christmas went:
Bombay Sapphire and Anchor Beer concoction. Pissing in the open. Cabbing home at 6am. Not remembering waking up half an hour later. Sleeping in the toilet. Getting ready in 7 minutes. 2 services. Being greeted with fake smiles. Greeting the fakers with fake smiles. O Holy Night. The First Noel - Pachelbel's Canon in D postlude. Presents. Sakuntala's. Family fiasco. 10-course lunch. Dozing off at the wheel on the expressway 3 times. Talking to myself to keep myself awake. Dead rat. Family dinner. Very crowded house at Teban. Only 2 sips of wine. Presents. Whiskey glass :D. Pink cap. Sick talk of sanitation methods. Blabbering on the couch. Finding myself in the guest room the next morning.

Merry Xmas, y'all!