Tuesday, December 16, 2008

the unbeatables

I finally understand how chips are used. It's quite exhilarating when you receive a stack of them in exchange for the 200 bucks that somehow don't seem as much to you any longer. Sitting at the table alongside others playing French Boule, many with cigarettes and cigars in hand, I couldn't help but roleplay Yan Fei in 'The Unbeatables'. Pretending to be deep in thought, rubbing my stubble in slow motion, staring intently at the gold-plated dice container as if by some miracle I would be able to see right through it, placing my chips on the board with the confidence of a professional, I imagined myself to be the King of Coral Island. It gives you a sense of power when you instruct the banker where you want your bets placed. It's hard to hide the smirk when someone else at the table loses all his chips and leaves empty handed. Nothing beats the adrenalin rush when I take a risky position, win, and claim the 1200% payout.

It is but a game. To be played with an attitude of triviality and only if you can afford it. Sadly, many don't know that. And many more act like they don't.