Thursday, June 11, 2009

the rebound

High level meeting with the Head of Consumer Markets (HCM) and some other big shots commences. Intense discussion takes place. Only the big shots speak. The rest observe. HCM grills my boss, the Department Head (DH). It is a sad, sad meeting. Suddenly, without any warning...

HCM (looking in my direction): Are you guys on dope or something? What's your opinion?

HCM glares at poor me, the 1-month old intern.

Melvin (mumbling): Well...erm...I do understand what's going on

HCM: And?

Melvin (kicking himself for not paying attention): Well... [blink blink]

Meeting drags on for another 20 minutes before HCM concludes the meeting abruptly and storms out without any goodbyes. Pin drop silence follows. My usually jovial boss is unusually stressed out.


DH (forcing on a tired smile): Any thoughts? Comments?

Melvin (trying to sound confident): Well.. I felt...blah blah blah... so we should.. blah blah blah.. and that should work.

DH: Why didn't you say that earlier when he (HCM) was around?? You looked like you were about to.

Melvin (not sounding so confident anymore): Ah.. that was because...[blink blink]


And that's how my Tuesday evening at office ended.

---

Wednesday and Thursday, on the other hand, were markedly different. Significant merchant deals inked. Jobscope expansion. A decent meeting with DH I had actually prepared for and so was able to contribute meaningfully to.

LIFE TRULY IS A ROLLER-COASTER RIDE.