Sunday, April 27, 2008

the reasons

I’m not sure if it’s wrong to justify everything I do. If anything, doesn’t that mean that I believe in what I do – that I have my reasons for doing what I do? Any rational person will do something only if he has reasons to do it. When someone accuses me of doing something, and I justify my doing it, is it reasonable for the accuser to feel exasperated that I have reasons for everything? Would it make the accuser feel any better if I said that I didn’t have any reason - I just did it because I felt like it? I’m guessing that that’ll make him/her even more upset with me – because I didn’t even bother to have a reason to do what I did.

Example: I go kill Mr X. Mrs X asks me why I killed him. Which response would appease her most?
  1. Mr X was planning to murder Timbaland, so I killed him.
  2. Mr X likes Elton John, so I killed him.
  3. Doh… I just felt like killing him. (recall: psychopathic killer from Scream)
Response 1 is obviously more valid than Response 2. But Response 2, no matter how unjustified, still makes a person feel less awful than Response 3, doesn’t it?

So, the next time you get angry when I come up with reasons for whatever I do, wonder what it would be like if I provided no reason at all. Then you’ll have REASON to thank me ☺