Monday, September 29, 2008

the day that wasn't Massa's

I managed to get in! So what if I had to sell ponchos and ear plugs for three back-breaking hours... sometimes to people younger than me. So what if an Indian girl came up to me and snapped a picture of me like I was part of the whole show and I had to scare her away by surprising her with a retort that went something like "What the hell do you think you're doing!?". I'm not cut out for sales. I'm really not.

But the atmosphere was BRILLIANTLY ELECTRIFYING. To watch the whole race proper, you still had to look at the giant screen set up on the Padang. Which meant that we were probably seeing the same pictures as the home viewers. But the sound and smell made it all worth it (especially since we didn't pay a single cent. heee). Bellowing F1 engines all around you, people cheering most unexpectedly (and you ran and joined them, not knowing what you were cheering for), the faint aroma of gasoline every time a car passed you, sweat. We only managed to get a proper view for the last 5 laps, though. For most of the rest, I was busy climbing scaffolding. But I was happy. I'm glad I didn't pay for walk-about tickets. Imagine forking out $108 dollars so that you could climb scaffolding.

I think I'm going to follow the race from now on. 3 more races in Japan, China and Brazil before Hamilton gets crowned champion. But then, anything can happen. It's normal to pull out of the pitstop while refuelling, you see.

I know the song's lame. I couldn't find anything better la.