Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the poised man

The time is nearing when I won't be giving any more tuition lessons for the rest of the year. MBA tuition ended last week. PSLE tuition's ending in a month. Then I'll only have the Singtel roadshows to tide me through. And that sucks because I won't be getting a steady stream of income. This is why a commission-based job won't cut it for me. It's too unpredictable. Too risky. I'm pretty sure I'd be quite content with a fixed salary and 7-month bonus at the end of each year.

I was fixing up a list of words for my tuition kid to expand her vocabulary and added "poised" to the list. I decided to try the words on this particular person in the vicinity to see if the standard I was setting was too high. I had added the word "poised" to the list and asked this person what the meaning of the word was. His response (in all seriousness) cracked me up -

"an erected man"

I dunno. It's just... funny.