Thursday, August 21, 2008

the record-breaking jump

It's nice to watch the olympics. Even if India and Singapore are almost non-existent. It's nice to see records being broken and new world records being achieved. I think of it as records being made on behalf of all humankind, not just a particular country. Everytime I see something like that happen on the screen, I keep playing Armstrong's words in my head: "that's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." And the hairs on my arms stand on end. And I get transported to the stadium where the sensational win has just taken place. And I feel like cheering my heart out along with the rest of the crowd.

Isinbayeva from Russia was simply awesome during her pole vault event. If you think Indians are melodramatic, you should watch the Russians. Retreating under her blanket after every attempt, you wonder what the deal really is. But great people are allowed to have eccentricities.

- right before her world record-setting 5.05m jump -