Tuesday, July 29, 2008

the whiskey weekend

Night Festival was alright. The MC battle was going on pretty well until one of the contestant had to rely on racist comments to diss the other guy and boy did that infuriate us. I remember shouting something bordering on profanity before we decided to clear off and head to.... Rupee Room!

- the national museum during Night Fest -

The thing about going to a club where you don't understand the language is that nothing else matters - only the music. You don't care for the crowd, the drinks (the only reason you agreed to go in was cos you weren't exactly sober), the ambiance. You just want to dance. And Rupee Room doesn't fail to impress on that front. But you can't dance to Hindi songs all night right? And Gotham was nearby.

I never thought i would say this. But Gotham is off my list of nice clubs to hang out at. The Johannesburg dancers have become hardcore strippers. So that's kind of deteriorated into a sleazy nightspot. And I don't exactly like sleazy (or so I say). Everything was going fine, my favorite brunette was dancing to my favorite JT songs. Then everything changed when the "fireman" started playing with the fire hose (don't ask). And that prompted the male population (both smokers and non-smokers) to call for a smoking break.

- this is the brunette from Odyssey -

I think it's a compliment when long lost friends you bump into while clubbing greet you with a "DUDE! YOU'RE YOU! NO FRIGGIN' WAY!". It means I've come a long way. Pre-JC friends would be able to appreciate that.

Today, I found out that I aced summer term, but the only thing that came to my mind was the sombre realization that intelligence doesn't get you ahead all the time (yes, THAT is still bothering me). I must have made my indifference pretty obvious cos Mom sincerely asked if A+ was a good grade and I was expecting something better.

I think sincerity is forcing myself awake in the smashed state that I was in, struggling to dress up and look decently good, taking a cab down to town, rushing to attend a ceremony in a language I don't understand, just to make my presence felt. I wasn't planning for an awkward encounter, or an embarrassing conversation. I just wanted to BE there. So it can't just be an ego issue. Maybe, just maybe, it's something more. And that worries me.

Sigh... September is a long long way away. Abit sad eh.